Between The Lines' 15th Anniversary Pre-Election Forum and Reception with Greg Palast, Jeff Cohen, and the Library ConnectionSaturday, Oct. 7
- 2 to 4:30 p.m. Pre-Election Forum
United Church on the Green, 270 Temple St., New Haven, CT
(Suggested donation: $15, students $5 with ID)
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Reception with hors d'oeuvres, wine, beer and Silent Auction
at The John Slade Ely House, 51 Trumbull St., New Haven, CT
Tickets: $50 RSVP by Sept. 30 (203) 268-8446 ext. 3 or
click here for ticket information
Click here for directions and parking for the church/meeting house Click here for directions to the John Slade Ely House. Free street parking available on weekends.
BBC-TV investigative journalist Greg Palast and FAIR founder Jeff Cohen will speak at a pre-election forum, “ Democracy in Danger: Oil Wars, Corporate Power, Terrorism and the Struggle to Defend Liberty and Justice ”. Cohen has also been a commentator on CNN, Fox and MSNBC. Between The Lines will present a "Democracy in Action Award" to Barbara Bailey, Peter Chase, George Christian and Janet Nocek of "The Library Connection, Inc." for effectively challenging the provisions of the USA Patriot Act which undermine the U.S. Constitution.
About the Democracy in Action Awardees: "Reluctant silence: Library group's leaders fought federal order while bound to keep it a secret," by Alex Wood, Journal Inquirer, July 6, 2006
About the Day's Events
Since the September 11th attacks of 2001, the US Constitution has been under assault. Not by bloodthirsty terrorists bent on killing Americans, but by our own government, which has systematically undermined civil liberties enshrined in the US Bill of Rights and violated human rights provisions of the Geneva Conventions.
By ignoring Congressional laws, ordering warrantless wire taps, setting up secret prisons and torturing prisoners held without charge or trial, the Bush administration has succeeded in doing what the terrorists couldn't - tearing down our democracy.
Join BBC-TV investigative journalist and NYT best-selling author of "Armed Madhouse" Greg Palast --- and founder of the media-watch group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting Jeff Cohen for a public forum titled: "Democracy in Danger: Oil Wars, Corporate Power, Terrorism and the Struggle to Defend Liberty and Justice"
The "Democracy in Danger" forum, sponsored by Squeaky Wheel Productions distributors of the syndicated Between The Lines Radio Newsmagazine will also feature the program's producers Scott Harris, Denise Manzari and Melinda Tuhus.
Pre-Election Forum and booksignings:
United Church on the Green, 270 Temple St. (corner of Temple and Elm streets), New Haven, CT. Suggested donation: $15, students $5
Call (203) 268-8446 ext. 3 for advance reservations for preferred seating. Click here for directions and parking to the church/meeting house and this benefit event for Squeaky Wheel productions, celebrating the 15th anniversary of "Between The Lines" radio newsmagazine.
PLEASE NOTE: Advance reservations for preferred seating can only be held until 10 minutes before the program if we have an unexpected overflow crowd.
All tickets can be paid at the door, cash or check made out to The Global Center
Please make checks out to our tax-exempt, fiscal sponsor:
The Global Center
and mail to Squeaky Wheel Productions
P.O. Box 110176
Trumbull, CT 06611
NOTE: Reception tickets will be mailed to you.
Call (203) 268-8446 ext. 3 for more information
Directions to the John Slade Ely House from I-91. Free street parking available on weekends.
The Day's Schedule
- 1-1:30 p.m. - Press conference with Greg Palast and Jeff Cohen in church basement
- 1:30 p.m. - Doors open, networking, book and product sales, tabling in church lobby
- 2 to 4 p.m. - Speeches, Democracy in Action award and Q&A
- 4-4:30 p.m.- Booksigning, networking, product sales, in church lobby
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. - Reception with hors d'oeuvres, drinks and silent auction with Greg Palast, Jeff Cohen, The Library Connection, Between The Lines producers, volunteers and friends
- 1 Week in the Adirondaks, fully-furnished 3-bedroom house on Schroon Lake, N.Y.
- Manhattan Penthouse Weekend Get-away, Friday evening till Sunday evening in a beautiful downtown, 2-bedroom duplex apartment in a historicriverside neighborhood!
- Original 1977 photo of Mickey Mantle, Billy Martin,Yogi Berra. Archival mounted to stand the test of time. Own the only print of this original photo now in existence.
- Between The Lines' 1st Program, March 1991; one of only two copies in the world!
- "Storm at Sea" - framed print from Rob Muller and Merwin's Art Shop, New Haven
- "Dancing Bears," framed original print, donated by Rob Muller, Merwin's Art Shop, New Haven
- Ink Print, "A Crack in the Order" signed proof, to be editioned, by artist Tony Kosloski.
- 2 Pairs of Westport Community Theater Season Tickets - 5- shows, 6 play readings.
- "EarthyMama.com" Gift Basket - Handwoven, Organic Cotton Hooded Baby Bath Towel and Bath Mitt
- Three Acupuncture Sessions by licensed acupuncturist Jody Eisemann
- Private Salsa Lesson - learn steps, turns and partnering of the Latin dance Salsa. Private lesson for a singles or couple, by Mikata's Richard Hill (BTL's theme music co-composer)
- Ayuverdic Youthful Skin Care Gift Basket - The Youthful Skin Care products were developed by an ayuverdic dermatologist from 5,000-year-old formulas used for the royalty of India.
- Handcrafted mint green baby blanket with matching beret for older sibling, woven by Between The Lines producer Melinda Tuhus
- Collection of "Best Video" Political DVDs including: "Syriana," "Bowling for Columbine," "Good Night and Good Luck" (previously viewed). A collection of favorite political video DVDs by Between The Lines' contributor, Hank Hoffman
- "Food for Thought"- Dinner for two with the Between The Lines Crew. Between The Lines producers take you and a guest out for an evening of wining, dining and political talk.
Best viewed in Netscape 6.0, Internet Explorer 6, Opera 7, Firefox 1 or Safari 1 or later.